At the moment there's a single 'print' tag.

But I think there's a need to differentiate between

  • printing the designer would do themselves for draft/preview/one-offs
  • printing the designer would hand off to a printing company

They're quite different subjects, and generally use entirely different printing processes.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Think we need a 'print-design' tag as well. Edit: And I've now retagged 'print' questions on design/layout specific to printed work, but not about printing itself as 'print-design'

  • 3
    Very good question!
    – Pekka
    Jan 10, 2011 at 14:14

3 Answers 3


My personal opinion is that:

  • printing-desktop
  • printing-press (probably needs a better term, but can't think of a better oen right now)
  • print-design

is sufficient to split the current print tag in a meaningful way.

  • I like this, but I still think printing-press ought to be split into sheetfed and web. My experience is that very different jobs are sent to those two, and a lot of context can be inferred from the type of press the job is being printed on. Jan 10, 2011 at 11:54

I think in the end, this will need to be addressed (and clarified) in the actual question. It's not unlike somebody asking a programming question about a specific command line tool, without specifying what operating system they're on. The first thing will be posting a comment to clarify that.

Alternatively, a tag suggestion:


meaning "Printing by qualified professionals in a printing company", as opposed to in-house printing done by the designer.

  • But what if the designer works for a company that also has in-house commercial printing capabilities? Would that be the same thing? Or how about the photographer that has a photo printer in-house for short-run jobs for clients? In that case "professional" can also mean "good enough". Jan 10, 2011 at 15:42
  • @Philip yeah. Maybe this needs to be defined in the question rather than through tags.
    – Pekka
    Jan 10, 2011 at 16:03
  • i like the idea of two tags: "professional-printing" and "home-printing". Any clarification needed beyond that should be in the question. Its important to keep it somewhat simple
    – Hemi
    Jan 12, 2011 at 5:22

How about a set of tags for the type of printing a document is intended for? A not-exhaustive list...

  • desktop-laser
  • desktop-inkjet
  • wide-format-inkjet
  • offset-sheetfed
  • offset-web, swop

The designers in my circle of colleagues, almost always know that when a job is launched.

  • Perhaps "grande-format" or "digital-press" might be less ambiguous than "wide-format-inkjet," which could apply to everything from a 17" desktop printer to a 12 foot banner printer. Between presses like Indigo and the whopping banner and vinyl sign printers out there, there's quite a range, but I don't think those would need to be differentiated as tags. May 18, 2011 at 21:09

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .