This recent question put my mind gears to work. This is just a first approach to see if someone would be interested in a similar idea (not a feature request).
I've been thinking about a GD.SE blog for a while (other SE sites have one, and it's a nice way of creating new content while bringing more people into the site as well). The 'Ultimate guide to Graphic Design' idea would be just impossible to reach, but maybe we could do a simple site containing things like Question of the Week (an a short article about it), articles on things we are working or, or have knowledge of, or just want to share... and in general, information extracted from the site and improved so it brings us more traffic.
What do you think? Is this something where you would be interested in participating? We don't need to create load of content each week, maybe 2 or 3 articles a month is enough.
Some extra details if this is something we are interested in doing. Start by the beginning:
Define the scope and purpose of the blog. Is the blog about the site? Is it about the site’s topic? Is it about the industry around the topic? Keep in mind the audience of your community and their interests. Another generic blog about may not be all that interesting. A community blog should be interesting to both current members and potential new members.
Ideas for articles:
- Interview top users. Just who is that user who is shooting up the reputation leagues?
- Highlight top content. What great question was posted on the site recently? Recognize it! Don’t just copy the question and its answers to the blog, blog about the question and its answers. A fine line there, eh? Delve deeper into the question or an answer. Add more context. Compare or analyze answers against each other. There is a lot to work with here.
- Review a product. Reviews don’t fit the Q&A nature of the sites, but these rules don’t apply on the blog! Between a review written by a random person on the internet and a review written by a user on the site who consistently gets a lot of upvotes, which review would you trust more?
- Tell us an interesting story. Did you go on an incredible cycling trip? Play a really interesting game? Read a great book on math? All it takes to get started is a set of pictures or screenshots you can share with some narrative stitching it together. So long as it’s topical and you’re excited about it, others in the community would probably enjoy sharing your experience!
- Explore hot topics. Is there a topic on your site that keeps getting asked about over and over? Maybe some tips or a closer look at the topic would interest the community.
- Keep up with current events. What is making news for your community? What interests the community?